As the weather warms up, I’m always looking for new ideas for light, refreshing, and detoxifying dishes. When I saw the bok choy and red cabbage in my Hometown Harvest bag, I knew I had to find a creative way to use them!
Anything from the cabbage family (like the bok choy and red cabbage in this recipe) is a cancer-fighting superstar (AKA a GBOMBS food).
GBOMBS are a group of the most nutrient-dense, disease-fighting, health-promoting foods in the world, foods we should eat a lot of on a daily basis. Check out this post for the full details on GBOMBS and how you can benefit from eating them!
In her book, The Beauty Detox Foods, nutritionist Kimberly Snyder points out tons of other health and beauty benefits of eating cabbage (bok choy and red cabbage both count!):
- Anti-aging/great for your skin because it contains vitamins A, C and E
- Helps to detoxify or purify the blood (which also contributes to clearer skin and reduced inflammation)
- High in fiber so it “keeps things moving” 🙂
- Good for the thyroid and other endocrine glands because of its iodine content
Click here to read about even more of the amazing healthy benefits of bok choy in particular.
Now that you’re sold on WHY eating these foods is a good idea, here’s a recipe to try that shows you HOW to use them!
Detoxifying Bok Choy Salad
- 2 heads of bok choy, chopped into ½” pieces
- 3 cups of thin-sliced red cabbage (we run ours through the food processor to shred it quickly and easily)
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 6 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- ⅔ cup white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup tamari (wheat-free soy sauce)
Click here for the full recipe!