Water, Sugar, Vegetable Oil (Soybean Oil, Canola Oil, Extra Virgin Olive Oil), Red Wine Vinegar, Vinegar, Contains Less Than 2% of Salt, Red Raspberry Juice Concentrate, Xanthan Gum, Citric Acid, Dried Onions, Spice, Poppy Seeds, Natural Flavor, Oleoresin Paprika, Potassium Sorbate And Calcium Disodium Edta (to Protect Freshness). Contains: Poppy Seed.
Those are the ingredients in a bottle of Kraft’s Lite Raspberry Vinaigrette.
Most salad dressings we buy in the store contain lots of preservatives and chemicals, and as you can see above, very little (less than 2% each!) of real, whole food ingredients we’d expect to see in a salad dressing.
What’s most shocking?
Kraft’s raspberry vinaigrette doesn’t even contain raspberries!
Now there’s a head scratcher.
Homemade salad dressings are one of the easiest upgrades you can make to your diet. They take very little time to make and, in most cases, require either a whisk or a blender to mix everything together.
That’s why I wanted to try a recipe for a homemade raspberry vinaigrette that tastes 100 times better than the bottled stuff…and actually contains raspberries! 🙂
I served it on top of a farm fresh summer salad (recipe below), but feel free to put it on any salad you like. The key to making delicious salads is to combine a variety of textures and tastes.
I had some deliciously juicy peaches and perfectly plump cherry tomatoes in my bag from Hometown Harvest last week, and I had a feeling they would go well together, and they did!
The “burst” of the tomatoes combined with the creaminess of the avocado, sweetness of the peaches, tanginess of the dressing and crunch of the almonds was a hit!
Farm Fresh Cherry Tomato Salad with Raspberry Vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup raw apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2/3 cup raspberries, fresh or frozen, thawed
- 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 head of lettuce of your choice or 6-8 cups of salad greens
- 2 peaches, thinly sliced
- 2 avocados, pitted, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise
- 1/3 cup sliced almond, toasted
- Optional: 1/4 cup fresh basil, thinly sliced into thin ribbons
- Combine all dressing ingredients in a blender for 30-60 seconds and liquify. If you have a Vitamix, follow these directions.
- Assemble salad and toss ingredients together, leaving almonds aside.
- Drizzle dressing on salad and sprinkle almonds on top. Toss to combine.
- Optional: Top salad with chicken or fish, or serve with a side of soup!