Bag items: lemons, swiss chard (red or rainbow), garlic
Have you seen rainbow chard and thought “ooh that looks pretty and delicious” but then not known what to do with it? That was definitely how I looked at it until I realized that I could use it for one of my favorite restaurant dishes from a Spanish restaurant nearby. They use spinach to make the Catalan-style dish using the same ingredients as I’ve used here, just with the lovely rainbow chard. The taste is similar to spinach, and the dish is delicious. I highly recommend it!
Another reason to combine dark leafy greens and lemon? The iron in the chard is much better absorbed by your body when paired with vitamin C, as is in the lemon. So it’s good for you and tastes great-can’t beat that, right? With the chickpeas and pine nuts for protein, this is an easy, fast, light weeknight meal that you will love!
This comes together in literally just a few minutes. To start, chop up the chard leaves and stems.
Then sauté with garlic:
Add the lemon juice, chickpeas, and raisins:
Remove from heat, and enjoy!
Garlic Lemon Rainbow Chard
1 bunch rainbow chard
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
¼ c. chickpeas
1 ½ tbsp. fresh lemon juice
¼ tsp. salt
2 tbsp. golden raisins
1 tbsp. toasted pine nuts
- Wash and remove the leaves from the chard stalks, then chop both the stalks and the leaves.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a sauté pan.
- Once hot, add the chard stalks and garlic, sauté for 3-5 minutes.
- Add the chopped chard leaves, and cook for another 3-5 minutes until the leaves have wilted and shrunk in size.
- Add the chickpeas, lemon juice, raisins, and salt, and stir until chickpeas are heated through, another 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately.